Movies to watch if you want to know
Gaslighting, in simple terms, is a subtle kind of emotional abuse. How? It is to manipulate facts with delusional stories! A gaslighter influences a person by making him/her question their thoughts, doubt their memories, and make them feel insane.
It may appear unlikely in the first place, and you may say, how is that even possible! But yes, it is indeed a reality, and most vulnerable people are victims of this psychological abuse!
We thought to present you a glimpse of how exactly gaslighting can take a toll on your mind and emotions without even you noticing it!
We have jotted down a few movies to watch if you are interested in this subject and want to get familiar with this issue.
Below is the list of a few movies which show exactly what we are talking about.
So here are the movies to watch if you want to know “what is gaslighting behaviour”:-
- Gaslighter- The oscar-winning movie the Gaslight is a proper reflection of how gaslighting is psychological abuse and how it eats the person from inside completely. In the film, a young lady named- Paula is sent to Italy to learn to become an opera singer like her aunt. And in the country of love, she finds a man with who she wants to spend her entire life. The movie takes a turn from there, wherein Paula starts encountering strange events and situations. Soon she starts questioning her sanity, and all the fingers get pointed at none other than her husband.
2. Girl On The Train: Rachel, the protagonist of the movie, is a divorcee. However, when she travels, she catches a glimpse of a perfect stranger couple who lives right next to her ex-husband’s house. The twist comes when Megan, who she admires from the train’s window, goes missing, and Rachel somehow gets dragged into the investigation. Rachel is a character who is always in a dilemma, and that is what her ex-husband took advantage of. Her husband made her believe that she isn’t capable enough to rely on her judgements and trust her memories.
3. The Sweet Body Of Deborah- As the story weaves, we understand a happy couple returns from their honeymoon to Geneva. But after that, the couple’s life becomes hell when Marcel gets to know his ex-wife committed suicide. He gets blackmailed and starts receiving threats as someone thinks he is the murderer of his ex-wife. Amid all this drama, Marcel’s new wife, Deborah, also becomes a victim to a sexually aroused man by her and her body, who she hasn’t even known but turns out to be their neighbour.
4. Before I Go To Sleep- The protagonist, Christine Lucas, suffers from anterograde amnesia, wherein she could not bring back her memories or even form new ones. And so she makes herself familiar every morning with the people around, including her husband. She starts maintaining a video diary as per her therapist’s suggestion and unleashes all the horrifying events that have been happening in her life for so long now. Soon, she starts to question everything and everyone.
5. The Invisible Man- Based on the novel by H.G Wells by the same name, it is a psychological horror film. A woman who is one of the protagonists has a strong feeling she is being stalked by her ex-boyfriend, who was filthy rich, gaslighter and toxic. But after his suicide, strange things start to take place. She has a strong feeling, her ex-boyfriend has returned but this time- by being invisible!
6. Ma: After making a bunch of teenagers her friends, the lonely middle-aged woman allows them to have a party in the basement of her house. But there are few conditions which have to be obeyed if they want to party in the basement- the teens have to be sober, they shouldn’t curse anyone and the most important to refer to the landlady as Ma. Soon the audience realizes the love and care were transforming into a weird obsession and turned the whole situation into an absolute nightmare. The good lady wasn’t any more good!
We hope you will take out some time from your super busy schedule to watch these fantastic movies. But if you are a person who is more of a reader, you can also check out the blog which we have about gaslighting, which not only talks about how gaslighting works but ways to deal with it as well!
Go ahead and sign up with Fuzia to come across more such movies, series, books list!
Originally published at https://www.fuzia.com.